T20 World Cup 2024 Final: Axar Patel’s batting beyond a footnote in ending India’s World Cup drought

T20 World Cup 2024 Final

IND against SA: While Kohli slowly collected runs through singles and doubles, looking for opportunities to hit boundaries, Axar Patel delivered the required aggressiveness. 

Years from now, when thoughts turn to India’s 2024 T20 World Cup victory over South Africa, Virat Kohli’s 76, Jasprit Bumrah’s amazing stint with both new and old ball, and Hardik Pandya’s last over will certainly be remembered as highlights.

Despite these honors, Axar Patel’s key knock should not be disregarded.

After losing three wickets for 34 runs in the PowerPlay, Axar Patel was moved up the order as a circuit-breaker. His 47 off 31 balls was a fantastic compliment to Kohli’s 76.

While Kohli slowly collected runs through singles and doubles, looking for opportunities to hit boundaries, Axar Patel delivered the required aggressiveness.

T20 World Cup 2024 Final Axar Patel’s batting beyond a footnote in ending India’s World Cup drought

In the ninth over, he slog-swept Aiden Markram’s off-spin over deep midwicket, giving India their first six of the game.

He then smashed a maximum off Keshav Maharaj in the following over, who was spinning the ball at him, and another off Tabraiz Shamsi in the 12th over. The highlight of his innings was a lofted straight drive off the first delivery of Kagiso Rabada’s new stint in the 14th over, which went 85 meters over long-on.

This shot demonstrated incredible technique and justified the choice to push him up the list.

“This means everything to me. When I arrived at this World Cup, I felt compelled to do something positive for India after being wounded in the previous few years.

T20 World Cup 2024 Final Axar Patel’s batting beyond a footnote in ending India’s World Cup drought

I’m trying to keep things simple. I just assume it’s another match. “Rohit Sharma is an amazing man who led India to an amazing World Cup,” Axar Patel stated after the match. “We were told to do our best. “I wasn’t expecting to be bumped up the order,” he said.

Axar Patel’s performance also provided favorable entrance points for India’s top performers, Shivam Dube and Hardik Pandya.

Dube, who had battled previously, hit a vital 27 off 16 deliveries. Axar Patel came out to bat in the fifth over and remained there until the 14th.

Looking at his innings progression, one can see that he hit a boundary in five of those overs, continuing the momentum and assisting India to a competitive total of 176. Axar Patel’s demise might be attributed to careless running, as wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock’s lasered throw caught him short at the far end in the 14th over.

With the ball, Axar Patel had a forgettable performance, with Heinrich Klaasen hammering 24 off his one over and threatening to win the game at the finish.

Axar Patel may now look back on the over as a single blemish in a game when his efforts to eliminate India’s 13-year World Cup drought will not be forgotten.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *